20110503

Leading the Blind

I still remember it like it was just yesterday. I am walking out of Second City's stone steps into Chicago's Old Town. I feel the cool air of a Chicago evening rushing against my body. I hear a continuous shuffle of passersby as if they are one and I am apart from them. Except that as they brush past me I feel them, feel their impatience. I see nothing. I feel the firm hand of my partner between my shoulder blades guiding me through an experience that will use all my senses. All except one: I am to keep my eyes shut for the entire duration of the exercise.

We walk down the street, cross the busy intersection, walk into a flower shop, smell and touch flowers until we are thrown out, go to a cafe, order coffee with a slice of lemon on the side, sit down, sip coffee, sniff lemon, sigh. It has been fifteen minutes and I have not opened my eyes! Meanwhile my partner has taken me on a guided sensory tour encouraging me to smell things, touch them, taste them, listen deeply for sounds far and near.

We overuse our sense of sight. Giving that one sense a rest allows us to use the other senses and experience the world in its fullness.

May the pulse be with you!

Abhay

Image: Mahatma Gandhi being led by a young boy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Abhay, thanks once again for a soul-stirring post!

Momo