20150101

Working with groups of workshop participants in four continents I came to realize that individuals in more traditional and rural societies, facing tremendous challenges, can sometimes be more whole and far less split than their modern, urban contemporaries. At other times I found urban, affluent groups that were very rooted in their cultures and in that wholeness were open to explorations of new ways of thinking.

I found that working with these groups I was learning, this was my schooling, and that as workshop leader I was engaged in a profound dialogue about wholeness.

I approach my explorations in the form of performance workshops because I am interested in people coming together in groups to explore for themselves, both as individuals and as a group, ideas of wholeness in how they live and how they work. Performance is seen and experienced as play. This allows my workshop participants to engage fully, increasingly leave their inhibitions aside and explore.

I use brief performance lectures as a preamble to my performance workshops. These create a playful and safe structure within which the performance exercises can be done. Participants can see that I am just an ordinary person like them who has many unusual ways of thinking about things and who is willing to engage others in his memories, observations, obsessions, and other distracted thoughts.

No comments: